Tuesday 8 January 2013

Looking for inspiration...

Today has been split between trying to get this blog looking better (probably a little too pared back now but trying to get my photo uploaded for the background was driving me crazy!) and scanning blogs for design ideas for our new house (infinitely more fulfilling!).

I have a good idea of the eventual look of the interiors already.  But the reality of moving from our 3 bed house to a 1 bed maisonette, albeit with 2 guest apartments below, means we will be downsizing as we won't be keeping personal items in the guest apartments.   So clever storage is uppermost in my mind as I try to maintain my ideals of clutter-free space and un-obstructed light while building in space for all our stuff!  I keep reminding myself of this quote:
Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful - William Morris 
Unfortunately, I seem to have an ongoing mental block when it comes to exterior design.  Inspiration never came when planning our garden here in UK and I'm similarly struggling with our future roof terrace which will double up as a second reception and dining room.

***Prepare yourselves - this is your first photo of our supposedly (soon-to-be) glamorous Italian home!!***

The polite phrase is that it has potential, right?!
Go on!  Have a laugh at how grotty it is so I can do a proper Sarah Beeny/Kevin McCloud reveal later!
We're re-roofing it all so can start from scratch.  What's your dream roof terrace?  Loungers?  Day bed?  Outdoor shower?  Hot tub?  Plants?  It's overlooked so we also want to create privacy without losing the sense of space or blocking the sunlight (or violating planning laws!).  Please share your vision!

2 comments:

  1. I for one think a hot tub sounds like a great idea, maybe concealed using a range of carefully positioned plants! I have visions of a small waterfall acting as a shower, but that's possibly not a very helpful suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Daniel, thank you, it's fantastically helpful and actually echoes some of our own ideas including the small waterfall shower! The architect and builder thought it was hilarious I'd want a hot tub or shower with all the neighbours looking on, but I reckon it could be wonderful having the hot tub under the Italian stars if we can sort the privacy and great for kids and big kids on hot days in summer.
    Is it getting a bit footballer's wives?!

    ReplyDelete